July 1, 2014 Prompt #60
It’s another “Down & Dirty” Prompt” day.
- Write about the first time (or a memorable time) you stole something.
- If you have never stolen, write about witnessing someone else stealing or write about your desire to steal and why you did not follow through.
- Start the work with a one-word sentence.
- Write for 20 minutes.
June 30, 2014 Prompt #59
Today’s prompt follows up on yesterday’s Sunday Shape-Up which starred stars.
- Use one of these phrases as your prompt: Gold Stars. Hollywood Star. Star struck. Starburst. Star of David. Star of Bethlehem. Star-crossed.
- Write in response to the painting Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh. Imagine you are in the painting. Imagine you are painting the painting.
Variations for Writing Groups
- If you meet at night, find a safe but dark area from which to view the sky. Without writing, look at the stars for 5 full minutes. Then, using the minimal amount of light needed, write down impressions and sensations.
- Inside, follow-up by circling a favorite phrase from your notes and using it as your first line. Write for 20 minutes.
- If it isn’t possible to see the night sky during your writing group, look at a photo of the night sky here. Choose one of the photos and write in response to it for 20 minutes.
June 29, 2014 Prompt #58
This week’s Sunday Shape-Up lets you shine like the star you are.
- For 10 minutes, jot down phrases, dialogue and images that come to mind when you hear the word star.
- Re-read what you’ve written and circle a phrase or sentence that stands out.
- Next, underline a phrase that feels awkwardly written, difficult, or otherwise problematic.
- Write both phrases on the top of a new sheet of paper. Write in response to them for 15 minutes.
Tomorrow: Further Writing and Variations for Writing Groups