prompt for July 5, 2014 Prompt #64
It’s (still) the 4th of July Weekend here in the U.S. and I’ve been thinking of patriotic symbols, what they mean to us, and how that differs from person to person.
- Choose one of these words or phrases and write it at the top of a fresh page: Bald Eagle. “American” Flag. (Stars and Stripes.) Statue of Liberty. Lady Liberty. Uncle Sam. Or choose your own patriotic symbol.
- Write in response to your chosen phrase for 15 minutes.
- Need addition direction? Considered exploring “gut” or emotional responses to your phrase or writing about how your response to the symbol has changed over the years.
Follow Up Writing
- If you are from a country other than the U.S., write about some of your country’s national symbols. Consider, perhaps, how they contrast with those of the U.S.
- Write about local or community symbols that move you in some way.
Writing Group Variation
- Bring in symbols or photos depicting symbols to your writing group — a rainbow flag, a fraternity or sorority pin, a postcard of Smokey Bear, etc. Swap images with other group members. Write in response to them for 15 minutes.
Postponed Until Monday: Further Rant Writing and Variations for Writing Groups