prompt for July 4, 2014 Prompt #63
It’s the 4th of July Weekend. Are you a fireworks YAY person or a firework NAY person? Either way, this post should prompt some sparks.
- Write down 2o words or phrases that you associate with fireworks.
- Underline one word or phrase that troubles you or feels different in tone that most of the others words.
- Circle one word that particularly appeals to you or is the essence of fireworks.
- At the top of a new piece of paper, write down the underlined word as your first word.
- At the bottom of the paper, write down the circled word as your last word.
- Write 100 to 120 words in between — a poem, story or essay.
Follow Up Writing
- If fireworks were an animal, what would they be?
- If fireworks were music, what style would they be?
- If fireworks were an emotion, what would it be?
Use the answers to the above three questions to fashion a poem or one-page story.
Writing Group Variation
- Did you see fireworks growing up as a child? Share your experiences with the rest of the group (about 3 minutes each) — Where did you see them? With whom did you watch them? Were you delighted, scared, both, something else?
- If you never watched fireworks, write about about another summer tradition that takes place at night.
Postponed Until Monday: Further Rant Writing and Variations for Writing Groups