June 13, 2014. Prompt #44
In honor of Friday the 13th, here’s a lucky writing prompt.
- Write about a superstition that you believe in, don’t believe in, or are on the fence about.
- Write for 13 minutes.
- Make up a superstition. Give it history or cultural background.
- Write convincingly why we should believe in a superstition that, in reality, you don’t take seriously. Or the opposite.
Variation for Writing Groups
- On index cards, write a short description of an existing superstition or one you’ve constructed. For instance, It is unlucky to walk under a ladder. It is lucky to see two magpies together. If it rains on your eighth birthday, you will be prosperous in life.
- Place the cards face down. Choose one randomly and write about a character who challenges the superstition. Write for 13 minutes.
- Research superstitions from cultures not your own. Write about one for 13 minutes.