Monday, July 21, 2014 • Prompt #78
On Sunday, I went to a pool party in Longmont’s Sunset Park,
which inspires today quick prompt:
Write about swimming.
Aspects to consider:
- The body of water.
- Your body in the water. (Or that of your character.)
- The repetition or rhythm of strokes or kicking.
- The sound of splashing, waves and breathing. Perhaps the absence of sound under the water.
- The temperature of the air or the water.
- The smell and taste of the water. Briney? Chlorine? Salty?
- The quality of light.
Sunday, July 20, 2014 • Prompt #77
Today marks the 45th anniversary of the moon landing.
If you are old enough to remember, write about where you were when Neil Armstrong stepped onto the moon.
- Describe where you watched or listened to the landing.
- Who was with you?
- What emotions did you experience?
Write for 15 minutes.
- Choose one of the following words as your springboard. Write for 15 minutes. Man on the Moon. Half-Moon Bay. Blue Moon. Moonpie. Moonlighting. Honeymoon. Moonshine.
- Write a 200-word fable that features two animals and the moon.
Writing Group Variations
- Gather in an area away from city lights with a good view of the moon. (Consult a moonrise calendar.)
- Look at the moon through binoculars and a telescope. Look carefully.
- Take notes.
- Move to an indoor area and write your observations.
- Did anything surprise you? Do you feel an emotional connection to the moon?