for Tuesday, July 22, 2014 • Prompt #79
On Monday, I listened to the Boulder Concert Band play in our local Foothills Park. My favorite moment was lying back on my blanket and looking up at the clouds as the band played Amazing Grace. It was a divine moment.
- Write about a time when you were able to put aside the horrors of the world and life’s daily problems and immerse yourself in a moment of bliss, contentment or joy.
- Use specific description and include sensory details.
- Write for 15 minutes.
- Write about attending an outdoor musical event when something — benign, odd, or slightly menancing — disrupts the concert.
- Write about a piece of music that affects you strongly.
Writing Group Variations
- Together, attend a musical event, preferable something low-key and informal. Perhaps a street performer, middle-school concert, or free event in a local part.
- Take notes.
- Listen with your eyes closed for a few minutes.
- Later, write your observations.
- Did anything surprise you? Do you connect more (or differently) to music as compared to visual arts?