July 2, 2014 Prompt #61
Today’s prompt is all about the rant. The “shout, shout, let it all out,” break-the-rules writing that demands you your speak your mind without apology.
- Scribble down attitudes and actions that infuriate you. List big issues, like poverty, or smaller ones, like not using your turn signal. Write for 5 minutes.
- Include both general, such as human greed, and specific, such as leaving dirty dishes in a shared sink.
- Re-read what you’ve written and underline a phrase or sentence that resonates for you.
- Write that phrase on the top of a new sheet of paper. Write for 20 minutes.
Hints for Good Rant Writing
- Choose a topic about which you feel passionate.
- Let yourself go off on tangents.
- Let yourself be angry. Let yourself be funny. Let yourself be both.
Tomorrow: Further Rant Writing and Variations for Writing Groups